Previously I have talked about different ways of monetizing your blog and also the different online money making methods. But what beats them all is this one method called affiliate marketing where you promote affiliate products on your blog. Let me take it slow for it might sound a little too much for the newbies.
What happens in affiliate marketing?
So, what exactly is affiliate marketing and why is it the best way of monetizing your blog? Well, here’s the answer:
There are products out there that are related to your blog niche. So, wouldn’t it be great if you use your blog to promote these products and when someone buys them through your affiliate link, make a good commission of it?
These commissions that you earn when someone buys these affiliate products that you promote on your blog are way higher than what you would be making with third party advertising networks like Google Adsense.
Ways to promote affiliate products
Review posts are the best when it comes to promotion of a product or service. It gives your readers an unbiased view of the product they may think of buying in future. Readers treat these reviews seriously. I mean they are gonna take your word for it. So you better use this opportunity to give your readers a justified and compelling reason to buy the product.
To get you started with your review posts here are a few tips you don’t wanna miss.
- Make sure your reviews are legit and not just an attempt to trap the readers into buying the product. Having said that, it is important that you look at both sides of the coin, i.e. both aspects of the products (positive and negative). If you wanna make it appealing to the audience you could add images of the product.
- It is recommended to keep the tone of your review a personal one. Think of what you expect in a review when you are deciding on buying a new product. Craft your article accordingly.
- It is really helpful to write a review of a product that you’ve already been using but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t go for the newer ones. When picking a product to review think of the one that you would most likely try for yourself. This will help you in forming a personal opinion on the product and write about what you personally think of it.
- Use star rating for your review posts as people are more likely to read reviews with star ratings for the product. Know how to show star ratings in google search results .
If you want to see how a review post is written, see it for yourself here.
- How-to blogposts
Articles in this category work really well when it comes to promoting affiliate products. If your blog has categories where you explain “how to do stuff” you can find related affiliate products and write articles on how to use them.
There are tons of products out there which need instructions on using them. A tutorial on any of such products can be optimized for SEO very well. “How-to” articles are some of the most searched for articles on the internet. So, this gives you an upper hand by increasing the prospects of a huge audience base.
For example take a look at this post where I give a tutorial on how to migrate a WordPress site to a new host. Here you can suggest a hosting which is good for WordPress. You can say something on the lines of “I had a great experience with this hosting service and I recommend the same.”
You can also expect a rise in your search engine ranking with such kind of posts.
- Featured post
So now you have seen a couple of types of posts that are going to help you take your affiliate marketing game a notch up. Notice one thing that no matter what type of post it is, more traffic and more views is what you need to get those affiliate sales up and get the money in (your pocket).
So what do you do? SEO. Now, if you have been blogging for a while, you probably know the importance of On-page SEO and you may have used On-page SEO techniques. If you are relatively new to that do check out the articles on On-page SEO techniques in the SEO category.
Having taken care of that, we still need something more to get those views. It is best to give such posts more visibility on your blog. One way to do so is by placing it as a featured post.
Here’s a nice little trick (a feature actually) in WordPress which lets you stick a post to the homepage of your blog.
After you’re done editing the post, before you hit publish, on the right corner of the screen, under the publish tab, you’ll find this.
You’ll see the visibility set to public. Click on edit and then check the box that says stick this post to the front page. Click OK and you’re good to go. This will really help you to increase your audience base.
Place the banners on the sidebar
Banner advertisements convert really well when your blog is driving in targeted organic traffic. Banner clicks are great contributors to the conversions on any site or blog. So when promoting affiliate products on your blog, what better tool to boost conversion than banner ads?
It does sound cool knowing all aforesaid but placing banner ads can get tricky sometimes. More often bloggers either get impatient or a little too excited and place many banners on their blog which results in the readers getting confused and distracted from the actual theme of the post.
Here is how you avoid such mistakes and use the banner ads to boost the conversions.
- Do not place similar banner ads on the sidebar
Placing banner ads on the sidebar is highly recommended, though placing ads for similar products may not be a very good idea (in fact, it’s a bad one). How could your readers possibly decide on what product to choose from a bunch of similar ads that are equally lucrative and compelling?
You could always choose to place ads for products that are in the same niche in the post that also belongs to that niche. I am talking about ads for products like Themes, Hosting services, Plugins and other WordPress related products you can promote on your blog writing “how-to” and review blogposts.
Here’s another tip for managing ads on your WordPress blog.
Are you running a multi-niche blog, then, in that case, the Adrotate plugin can be really handy in managing all the ads on your blog. You can find ads based on geographical location and category with this plugin. It also helps you run A/B testing of banners.
Linking to websites directly
Though you may think you have written a killer review post, it is never a good idea to link to your review post of the product instead of the product website directly. This is something most of the affiliate marketers go wrong about. After they have written a review post or a “how-to” article which promotes the product they go further linking to the review and other internal posts on their blogs.
This is something that will get in the way of your conversions. It is a common fact that the landing pages of these products are well optimized for higher conversion and the optimization is way better than any of your review post on the blog.
So instead of linking to the review posts, start linking to the landing pages of the product directly and see the conversions hitting the roof.
Some more ideas:
- Have the products mentioned in your best posts
- You can even go about explaining the product in a series of articles
- Try comparing different products in a post. To know how to do that, refer to the article where I have compared Linux and Windows hosting for WordPress
- When there’s a new version of a production or it is enhanced to support more features, write about it in a post
- A video explanation about the product can always go well with the review post
- A coupon related post can also work well in promotion of the product
These were the tips that you can use for promoting affiliate products on your blog and increase your blog revenue. If you find this article useful, share it on social media and tell us about your affiliate marketing experience, which techniques work for you and if you have any other ways or tips, do share in the comments.